Bison can be excellent investments for ranchers. Your farm will need to be set up properly to support them, but in return they offer quite a bit. While they’re not as friendly and affectionate as horses or some other livestock animals, they do possess other redeeming qualities. You can purchase your very own piece of American history!
Top Reasons for Bison
- Bison meat tends to be slightly sweeter compared to beef. Some might describe it as earthy or with a mineral taste. On average, a butchered bull will yield 450 pounds of meat.
- Their hide can be used as rugs and decoration. It sells for roughly $800 to $2,000. Some will also want to mount the head on a wall for display. These also command a high price tag, often $2,600+.
- These animals are less susceptible to infections and have fewer calving issues. Bison adjust very easily to their environment and land. They’re fighters and survivors!
- They have a unique history that is tied to the land. Bison have been described as the original red meat of America.
- Ranchers get a higher price for their carcass compared to beef. There is less competition. Additionally, people enjoy coming out to the farm for tours, which in another form of income.
Bison are not like horses or cattle. They’re their own animal! For one, you better increase your fence height if your plan to own a small herd. They also require quite a bit of acreage. Don’t go into this blindly, but there is definitely a niche market for bison.