Are you making resolutions for the new year? Cowgirls, you have perfect opportunity to set some achievable goals for you and your horse. Whether that consists of improving your riding or building a new run-in shelter, there are so many things you can work toward in 2023. Let this list inspire you!
Horse New Year’s Resolutions
- Start an emergency horse fund.
- Clean out and organize your tack room.
- Develop a nutritional plan to keep your horse in top shape.
- Rework your deworming plan by starting with a FEC test kit.
- Make an effort to enjoy every ride with your horse.
- Create a plan for barn safety, such as eliminating fire hazards and loose boards.
- Contribute to an equine charity.
- Build up your stamina and muscle by exercising 3-4 days a week.
- Read a horse book from a trainer or professional you look up to.
- Attend a clinic either as an auditor or rider.
- Create a Paradise Paddock Track System.
- Build something with recycled wood like one of these 6 pallet projects.
- Be open-minded and consider trying something new like working equitation or western dressage.
- Spend more quality time with your horse- brushing, hand grazing, hanging out…
- Stay positive and celebrate your progress.
- Improve one of your riding flaws.
- Save up for a new saddle that’s fitted specifically for you and your horse.
- Introduce a non-horse friend to the barn.
- Go on more relaxing trail rides.
- Learn to refine your aids (seats, legs, hands, etc…).
Your goals may look a little different, but hopefully these get you thinking in the right direction. Don’t overwhelm yourself by taking on too much. Your goals should be realistic and obtainable!