Equine hybrids have existed since ancient times. Many people are familiar with mules, but less have heard of zorses and even fewer know about donkras. Some of these unique crosses are used in petting zoos and on ranches. You learn something new everyday!
- A female horse and male donkey create a mule.
- A female horse and male zebra create a zorse.
- A female pony and male zebra create a zony.
- A female Shetland pony and male zebra create a Zetland.
- A male horse and female donkey create a hinny.
- A male horse and female zebra create a hebra.
- A female donkey and male zebra create a zonkey.
- A male donkey and female zebra create a donkra.
For the most part, these hybrids are sterile and cannot produce offspring. There have been some rare occasions where they have been fertile.
Many of these crosses can be ridden and live in a normal barn environment. In general, zebras do not make very good pets. Depending on the hybrid’s traits, they may not be suitable for a domesticated life. Horse and donkey hybrids are frequently seen on ranches. Many make great riding partners.
What’s your favorite equine hybrid?